Great Basin National Park
100 Great Basin National Park
Baker, NV 89311
Available 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Closed on Federal holidays.
Description: Great Basin National Park is Nevada’s largest national park filled with spectacular diversity of the larger Great Basin region.The park offers a lot more than just desert – stunning ancient bristlecone pines, limestone caverns, small glacier and more!
What To Do:
For half day tours:
- Check out the exhibits in both visitor centers.
- Join a Lehman Caves Tour.
- Drive the 12 mile Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive for unparalled views of the mountains and surrounding valleys.
- Stroll along the 1/4 mile Island Forest Trail at the end of the Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive.
For overnight tours and longer:
- Walk the self-guided Mountain View Nature Trail
- Attend a ranger program at the Lehman Caves Visitor Center.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch at the secluded Pole Canyon Picnic Area
- Venture up the Bristlecone Pine Trail
- Sign the kids up to become Great Basin Junior Rangers.
- Find a comfortable spot after sunset for some stargazing
- Head into the backcountry for an overnight on the Baker/Johnson Lake Loop Trail.
- Enjoy fishing on Lehman or Baker Creek.
- Hike to Lexington Arch, located 25 miles south of Baker.
- Visit the Baker Archeological Site to see the site of an excavated Fremont Indian Village.
- Search for ancient rock art at Pictograph Cave.
- Summit Wheeler Peak, the highest peak contained within the state of Nevada (elevation 13,063ft).
Campsites: These are the campgrounds at the Great Basin National Park:
- Lower Lehman Creek Campground
- Upper Lehman Creek Campground
- Wheeler Peak Campground
- Baker Creek Campground
- Grey Cliffs Campground
- Snake Creek Campground
- Strawberry Creek Campground
Toilets /Showers: Restrooms are accessible. Campgrounds are all with vault toilets. There are no shower facilities in the park. Pay showers are available outside the park at the Whispering Elms Motel, Campground & RV Park ($5), the Baker Sinclair Gas Station ($2), and the Border Inn ($3).
Operating Hours: Lehman Caves Visitor Center is open daily from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Fees: Great Basin National Park has no entrance fee. For camping, fees range from $0 to $$25.
More info here: https://www.nps.gov/grba/index.htm